Neuroinflammation class sections
Introduction to Neuroinflammation and Neuroinflammatory Diseases
In the introduction to the class, we will go beyond your preconference educational material by expanding on the foundations of neuroinflammation. We will discuss the role of glial cells in maintaining neuron health; how memory, cognition, synaptic function, neurotransmitter activity, and other vital brain functions are dependent on healthy glial cell function; and how focusing on neurons but ignoring glial cells fails patients and can even worsen symptoms. You’ll learn why glial cells should be the primary focus in preventing Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and other neurodegenerative diseases.
- Basic concepts of neuroinflammation
- Diseases that involve neuroinflammatory pathophysiology
- Clinical presentations of subtle neuroinflammatory reactions
Glial Cell Functions
In this section we will explore how glial cells that have become pro-inflammatory actually change in shape, anatomy, and function—and clinical strategies for disarming activated glial cells. I’ll review the recent research breakthroughs on what causes glial cells to become pro-inflammatory, causing depression, childhood developmental disorders and accelerated brain degeneration, and creating roadblocks in managing complex, chronic conditions.
- Glial neuron networks
- Glial pruning
- Protective and inflammatory roles of microglia
- The role of astroglial cells and the blood-brain barrier
This section will teach you about the effect of antigens in the brain and the complexity of blood-brain barrier integrity, breakdown, and repair. You’ll learn how the body’s immune system and the gut communicate directly with glial cells to impact the brain’s immune system.
- Antigen presentation in the brain
- The role of peripheral signaling agents in activation of brain glial cells
- The role of glial cell priming
Literature Review of Nutrition, Dietary and Lifestyle Treatment Strategies for Neuroinflammation
In the last few years we have seen an explosion of breakthrough research into neuroinflammation. It’s important that you have a grasp of this new research as it will guide the future of brain care and be the foundation for future research. In this section we will go over the latest discoveries in brain immunity and neuroinflammation as it applies to clinical models for recovery.
- Literature review of nutrients, flavonoids, and botanicals in the management of neuroinflammation
- Literature review of various diets in the management of neuroinflammation
- Literature review of lifestyle factors in the management of neuroinflammation
How to Clinically Evaluate Neuroinflammation
This section teaches you how to identify patterns of neuroinflammation on blood tests, imaging, and through patient history and physical examination. You’ll also learn how to ascertain the cause of neuroinflammation in each patient; it will be different for each.
- Medical history findings with neuroinflammation
- Examination findings with neuroinflammation
- Laboratory findings with neuroinflammation
- Imaging findings with neuroinflammation
Functional Medicine Model to Address Neuroinflammation
In this section you will learn how to use the functional medicine model to address neuroinflammation in your patients — and how this will boost the results you see in the variety of conditions you treat. For brain-based disorders in particular, improvement and recovery depend on healthy glial function to support positive neuron plasticity and you will learn how to stimulate neurons in order to keep glial cells healthy.
- Systems biology approach to neuroinflammation
- Blood glucose stability
- Gut-brain interactions
- Antecedents and triggers
Read written testimonials about the Neuroinflammation course here.